4 video games got here out on prime on the SXSW Gaming Expo
Accomplice Content material by SXSW
Up to date 3/19/18 10am: The Gamer’s Voice Awards are over! Scroll right down to see which upcoming indie video games must be in your wishlist within the following yr.
The outcomes are in! Tonight’s fifth annual South by Southwest Gaming Awards simply wrapped up, revealing the outcomes of over 500,000 votes casted by avid gamers across the globe. This yr’s two large winners, sweeping three classes every, had been Nintendo best-seller The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and upstart multiplayer phenom PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS. Learn on for the complete scoop.
The star-studded presentation, hosted by IGN’s personal Alanah Pearce (a.okay.a. Charalanahzard) and Main League Gaming impresario Wealthy Campbell, featured high-profile visitor presenters like OMGitsfirefoxx (former SXSW Gaming Awards host), Raphael Colantonio, Saira Mueller, Patricia Summersett (the voice of Zelda!), and different gaming luminaries.
You will need to try the Twitch VOD to expertise the intermission efficiency by Manatee Commune, “Seattle’s finest digital musician and one-man synth, guitar, violin, and percussion artist,” in addition to a shock visitor look by The Assault’s host Alex Corea.
This being SXSW, even the livestream itself was interactive. By means of Muxy, a particular Twitch extension suite, viewers had been capable of staff up with their favourite streamers and register their guesses for every class’s winner, which the app stored observe over the course of the night.
Because it seems, viewers who supported The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS confirmed eager foresight. Whereas every sport gained three classes, Zelda arguably outshone all others, profitable the distinguished trio of Excellence in Gameplay, Excellence in Design, and Video Sport of the 12 months. However PUBG demonstrated its wild reputation by taking house Trending Sport of the 12 months, Esports Sport of the 12 months, and, in fact, Excellence in Multiplayer. Few might argue these accolades had been undeserved.
Solely three different video games gained a couple of class. Facet-scrolling old-timey shooter Cuphead walked away with Excellence in Artwork and Animation, the memorably bizarre NieR: Automata took Excellence in Technical Achievement and Musical Rating, and PlayStation’s open-world epic Horizon: Zero Daybreak gained Excellence in Visible Achievement and Most Promising New Mental Property.
Even with 5 nominations, Tremendous Mario Odyssey scored solely a single win for Excellence in SFX (sound results), which exhibits simply how sturdy the sector was this yr. Resident Evil 7 Biohazard bought one of the best digital actuality nod and indie faves Night time within the Woods and Doki Doki Literature Membership! gained Most Fulfilling Neighborhood-Funded Sport and the Matthew Crump Cultural Innovation Award, respectively.
Right here’s the whole listing of tonight’s winners, as voted by hundreds of avid gamers:
- Excellence in Visible Achievement: Horizon: Zero Daybreak
- Excellence in Technical Achievement: NieR: Automata
- Excellence in SFX: Tremendous Mario Odyssey
- Excellence in Narrative: What Stays of Edith Finch
- Excellence in Multiplayer: PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
- Excellence in Musical Rating: NieR: Automata
- Excellence in Gameplay: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Excellence in Design: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Excellence in Convergence: Star Wars Battlefront II
- Excellence in Animation: Cuphead
- Excellence in Artwork: Cuphead
- Most Promising New Mental Property: Horizon: Zero Daybreak
- Most Fulfilling Neighborhood-Funded Sport: Night time within the Woods
- Matthew Crump Cultural Innovation Award: Doki Doki Literature Membership!
- Trending Sport of the 12 months: PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
- Esports Sport of the 12 months: PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS
- VR Sport of the 12 months: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
- Tabletop Sport of the 12 months: Gloomhaven
- Cell Sport of the 12 months: Fireplace Emblem Heroes
- Video Sport of the 12 months: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Up to date 3/19/18: The Gamer’s Voice Awards are devoted to honoring impartial video games — video, VR, cellular, and tabletop — at SXSW. Annually, solely a choose few are invited to show their video games on SXSW’s present ground. Winners are decided by expo attendees. On Sunday, after the mud settled, these 4 emerged as 2018’s winners:
- Gamer’s Voice: Video Sport: Battlesloths 2025: The Nice Pizza
- Gamer’s Voice: Digital Actuality Sport: SUPERHOT VR
- Gamer’s Voice: Tabletop Sport: Sol: Final Days of a Star
- Gamer’s Voice: Cell Sport: Tiny Bubbles
Remember to try the livestream’s archived VOD on Twitch for the complete SXSW Gaming Awards 2018 expertise. Congrats to all concerned, kudos to all of the avid gamers who voted, and here is to a different nice yr of gaming!
It is a particular promoting part. Learn extra about IGN’s insurance policies in our Requirements and Practices.