Soccer Comes up Brief to Columbia on Homecoming
Central Connecticut fell to Columbia, 22-20, on Saturday at Arute Subject for homecoming weekend. The Blue Devils almost rallied from an early 10-point deficit earlier than the Lions recovered an onside kick try to finish the comeback.
CCSU compiled 288 yards by the air and narrowly outgained Columbia, 340-338, within the recreation. Sophomore Romelo Williams threw a landing to a few totally different receivers on the afternoon. Senior Tyshaun James hauled in 10 catches for 98 yards and a landing.
Defensively, the Blue Devils pressured a pair of turnovers and restricted Columbia to 4-of-15 on third down. Senior Kelvin Apari had a team-high 14 tackles, together with 4 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks. Junior Dexter Lawson had an interception and eight tackles, whereas sophomore Tyler Boatwright had a fumble restoration.
Rating: Central Connecticut 20, Columbia 22
Data: CCSU (1-4), COL (3-1)
Location: Arute Subject | New Britain, CT
- Columbia went 69 yards in eight performs on their first drive to take a 7-0 lead after a one-yard run by Gabriel Hollingsworth. The Lions tacked on a 30-yard subject aim on the 12:45 mark of the second quarter to make it 10-0.
- CCSU obtained on the board on their subsequent drive. The Blue Devils went 92 yards in 15 performs over a span of 4:05 to get inside a subject aim. Williams hit sophomore Jadd Dolegala for 14 yards to search out the endzone and make it 10-7 at halftime.
- The Lions would punt on their first drive of the second half and pinned CCSU at their very own one-yard line. On the primary play of the following drive Columbia recorded considered one of its eight sacks on the day, wrapping up Williams within the endzone for a security to make it 12-7.
- Columbia would lengthen its lead following a 30-yard subject aim originally of the fourth quarter to make it 15-7.
- Central would reply on its subsequent possession with a 13-play, 88-yard drive. Williams hit James for a 16-yard landing with 6:55 to play to make it 15-13. The 2-point conversion was stopped simply wanting the aim line.
- After a 65-yard run by Dante Miller pushed the Columbia lead again to 22-13, the Blue Devils got here again with a 72-yard drive in 11 performs, capped off by freshman Erik Surratt’s 16-yard landing seize to make it 22-20.
- The Blue Devils’ try and get better the onside kick with 0:57 to play was denied and the Lions had been capable of run out the clock.
NUMBER TO KNOW
51 – Williams went 29-of-51 passing within the recreation, marking essentially the most makes an attempt in a recreation by a CCSU quarterback since Jacob Dolegala went 31-of-51 towards Bryant on Sept. 24, 2016.
- Saturday was the fourth assembly between the groups. The sequence is tied 2-2 with every staff profitable a pair of street video games.
- Williams set career-high marks for passing yards, completions and touchdowns. He grew to become the primary CCSU participant with three passing touchdowns since Aaron Winchester at Wagner on Nov. 2, 2019.
- James hauled in a career-high 10 catches and a season-high 98 yards. He added three carries for 15 yards.
- Apari leads Central with 9.5 tackles for loss and three.5 sacks on the season.
- The Blue Devils had been restricted to simply 52 yards on the bottom. Junior Aaron Dawson led Central with 28 yards on seven carries.
Central performs six straight convention video games to shut the season. The Blue Devils play a street recreation at Sacred Coronary heart on Saturday, Oct. 16, in a 1:00 p.m. kickoff.