Find out how to Prepare dinner a Burger, From Forged Iron to—Belief Us—Steamed
Whether or not you’ve bought a single skillet or a totally stocked kitchen—or maybe you’re simply itching to mild that new grill—there’s a burger methodology that’s best for you. Under, we break down one of the best methods to prepare dinner burgers on the stovetop, in a toaster oven, over the grill, even find out how to steam the patties. When you’ve mastered your most popular methodology, try our Final Burger Information for our favourite recipes, toppings, suggestions, and sides.
Cooking Burgers on the Range
A well-seasoned cast-iron skillet is the best device for making skinny, diner-style burgers. The huge, shallow pan mimics a restaurant-style flat-top griddle by producing a excessive, dry, even warmth. George Motz, the creator of Hamburger America, recommends a technique in style with short-order cooks within the Midwest. Right here’s his method for find out how to prepare dinner a cheeseburger in a pan:
- Warmth a dry cast-iron skillet over medium-high warmth till it simply begins to smoke, about 2 minutes. Utilizing a big ice cream scoop with a launch set off for portioning, place a scoop of meat within the skillet.
- Permit the meat to prepare dinner for just a few seconds, then, utilizing the again of a large, offset spatula, smash the inside track of meat right down to make a ½-inch patty. Flattening creates a flavorful sear and crisp, uneven edges because the burger sizzles in its personal fats. Prepare dinner the patty, flipping as soon as, till it’s browned and cooked via, about 4 minutes complete.
- Place a slice of cheese atop the patty, cowl the skillet, and proceed cooking simply till the cheese has melted, about 1 minute extra.
That is our favourite rainy-day (or metropolis residence) method for attaining outcomes much like what you’d get with a charcoal or fuel grill. We want to make use of the broiler setting on an electrical toaster oven, somewhat than a full-size oven, as a result of the small equipment’s compact cooking area concentrates the warmth extra intensely on the meat. (When you don’t have a toaster oven, although, a typical oven will get the job performed.)
- Preheat the toaster oven to broil and place its rack as shut as attainable to the heating aspect
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then place a wire or perforated steel rack atop it. Place two 8-ounce burgers on the rack.
- Switch to the toaster oven and broil the patties till the meat is properly browned on one facet, 6–7 minutes.
- Use an offset steel spatula to fastidiously flip the burgers, then proceed cooking till the meat is browned on the second facet and cooked via to your required temperature (about 1 minute extra, or to 130°F, for medium-rare).
Cooking meat over an open flame will all the time yield some extent of savory, smoky taste. We particularly prefer to prepare dinner burgers (and different smaller cuts of meat) over a compact charcoal grill, like a conventional hibachi or the Lodge Sportsman, on which the grates sit near the warmth supply, making it simpler to attain a crispy, charred exterior.
- Construct a medium-hot charcoal hearth (the coals are prepared when they’re absolutely ashed over however nonetheless scorching sufficient you can’t maintain your hand an inch above them for greater than two seconds).
- Place the burgers on the grill grate and prepare dinner, ready for at the very least 4 minutes earlier than flipping.
- Prepare dinner till either side are browned and the burger is cooked to the specified doneness, about 10 minutes complete for medium-rare, 8-ounce burgers. Let the burgers relaxation for about 5 minutes earlier than serving.
At Ted’s Restaurant in Meriden, Connecticut, proprietor Paul Duberek sells tons of of his well-known steamed white-cheddar cheeseburgers every week. It’s a burger-cooking type that hasn’t discovered a lot of a fan base exterior the state, however steaming at house is simple, smokeless, and might produce successful outcomes, because the meat stays moist whereas it cooks in its personal juices. Although you most likely don’t have certainly one of Duberek’s patented steaming cupboards at house, our MacGyvered tuna-can methodology works wonders.
- Place a spherical wire rack or flat-bottomed steamer within the backside of a giant, wide-bottomed pot; add ½ inch of water, then carry to a boil over medium-high warmth. In the meantime, press ¼ cup of floor beef into every of two empty, clear 5-ounce tuna cans. Place 2 thick slices of white cheddar into 2 extra tuna cans.
- Switch the cans to the rack, cowl the pot, and prepare dinner till the meat is cooked via and the cheese is melted gooey, 12–14 minutes for medium-rare. To take away cans, grip the perimeters with tongs and raise them fastidiously out of the pot.
- Use a small knife to loosen the meat from the cans, then switch to 2 heat hamburger buns. Pour the molten cheese over the burgers and serve.