A 15-year-old lady was left half paralysed after a suspected medical blunder in United Christian Hospital, when an artery was wrongly pierced in a medical process which was meant to deal with an irritation in her spinal wire.
In a press convention on Saturday, members of the family of the Type 4 lady, accused medical employees on the Kwun Tong hospital of committing a number of errors when treating the lady’s situation, generally known as acute transverse myelitis. They hoped the hospital would admit its legal responsibility.
“The left facet of my sister’s physique can’t transfer. Docs mentioned her probability of restoration was slim,” mentioned the lady’s elder brother, surnamed Chan, including that his sister’s eyesight and talent to swallow was affected too.
“My daughter hoped to review in college and grow to be a nurse,” the lady’s mom mentioned, in tears. “However now she would possibly lose self-care expertise sooner or later and endure a number of ache in her life.”
The lady first sought medical assist from the hospital on October 31 final yr after affected by a headache, neck ache and weak point on the proper facet of her physique. On November 9, she was confirmed to be affected by acute transverse myelitis, an irritation of her spinal wire.
If the physician didn’t place the catheter within the fallacious place, there wouldn’t be any downside
Brother of 15-year-old lady
Whereas the lady’s situation didn’t enhance after taking a excessive dosage of steroids for 5 days, she was steered to obtain a process named plasmapheresis, a course of to interchange affected plasma with good plasma or a plasma substitute.
The lady obtained the process on November 16. Whereas a health care provider from the hospital’s paediatric intensive care unit inserted a catheter right into a vein of the lady’s neck, a step mandatory for the plasma trade process, the lady developed shock and blood collected in her chest.
“On the day when the incident occurred, docs from United Christian Hospital advised us that there was solely bleeding from [my sister’s] vein and there was no downside together with her artery,” mentioned Chan.
He mentioned docs gave the reassurance after conducting an X-ray examine on his sister.
The lady was transferred to Queen Elizabeth Hospital on the identical day for therapy of the buildup of blood in her chest, as United Christian didn’t have specialists in cardiothoracic surgical procedure.
Medical blunder linked to affected person overload in Hong Kong public well being care sector, docs say
It was then the household was advised by Queen Elizabeth docs that the lady’s artery was broken through the strategy of inserting the catheter into the vein. In addition they confirmed the lady, who was unconscious at the moment, suffered an ischemic stroke in a big space of her proper mind. This particular kind of stroke occurs when the blood provide to mind is obstructed.
“A physician mentioned over the previous interval of greater than 20 years, she had by no means seen such a critical consequence [of a catheter insertion procedure], by which a stroke occurred in massive space of proper mind,” mentioned Chan.
The lady underwent three mind surgical procedures, which concerned eradicating a few of her proper mind tissue, to scale back stress inside her cranium. Due to the stroke and mind surgical procedures, the lady’s eyesight and talent to swallow was affected and left facet of her physique was paralysed.
The lady, who now stays in Queen Elizabeth’s intensive care unit, couldn’t stand or sit.
Chan mentioned United Christian must be held answerable for each mistake.
“If the physician didn’t place the catheter within the fallacious place, there wouldn’t be any downside,” mentioned Chan. “Even when the catheter was wrongly positioned, if docs answerable for X-ray imaging didn’t misjudge, the consequence wouldn’t be that unhealthy. The medical workforce must also have found earlier that she had indicators of a stroke.
“We hope the hospital will admit the liabilities they must take,” mentioned Chan.
Lawmaker James To Kun-sun, who has been aiding the household, mentioned the household has already lodged grievance to the hospital.
Medical blunders at Hong Kong hospitals level to overstretched public well being care system
“We really feel that United Christian Hospital is negligent,” mentioned To. “[The hospital] ought to apologise.”
A spokesman for the Hospital Authority mentioned docs from United Christian Hospital had defined to the lady’s members of the family that plasmapheresis was a high-risk medical process because it required putting a catheter in a affected person’s central vein. It will presumably contain dangers, similar to harm to arteries and blood accumulation within the chest. The process was performed with the household’s consent.
The spokesman mentioned the lady’s situation had been steady since December. She is receiving rehabilitation therapy, similar to chest physiotherapy, limb motion coaching and speech remedy in Queen Elizabeth.
“United Christian Hospital could be very involved and feels upset in regards to the incident,” the spokesman mentioned, including the hospital has supplied condolences to the lady and her household.
The hospital has additionally invited third-party consultants to assessment the medical procedures carried out on the lady and is awaiting the report. After they’ve obtained the report, they might clarify the content material to the household.
Lawrence Wong Ka-sing, an honorary professor in neurology at Chinese language College, mentioned it was “uncommon” and “critical” to see a stroke brought on by a plasma trade course of.
However he mentioned because the arteries and veins have been shut to one another, it could be potential to put a catheter within the fallacious place.